Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I am all for individuals being allowed to debate over heated topics such as climate change. Debate is one of the ways in which we test ideas for their soundness and find the best solutions to our problems. But I think that the time to debate the existence of climate change is over and has been over for a long time. While I could have respected the Friends of Science's desire to argue over climate change thirty years ago, now we are in climate change and we are seeing the effects of. The reality of climate change has been accepted by most world governments and the majority of scientists agree that the world is going to human induced environmental changes. So the time for debate is over, it is time to take action and implement policies to protect the Earth.

As for how the two websites present themselves, Friends of Science leaves something to be desired. I agree with Brittany that the name does not seem very professional and I would certainly not be comfortable citing a website with that name on a paper for class. And after reading some of their material it seems as if they are taking research and simply putting their own spin on it so it says what they want. I will admit that I am biased because I do believe in climate change. I do not think that the Friends of Science website presents its information in an accurate manner. As for the Grist website, I think they were very through in their desire to give arguments to people like Friends of Science. But once again I do not believe that this debate needs to continue any longer, which would essentially make this website obsolete.

No comments:

Post a Comment