Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Beyond I=PAT's T

To start, I'd like to agree with Brittany's post over Chan's (sorry Chan...)

The historical trends of technology and their detriment on the environment loudly speak against the Cornucopian ideal of holding out for the next big spike in ecological engagement. We can't simply wait for an ecological industrial revolution. historically it needs to be addressed that increase in technology has steadily negatively impacted the environment due in part to the human element of attitude.

To counter the argument of technological restoration of the environment I'd like to pose a new equation (an subset of I=PAT) T(+)=(ΔA1x I2)/C.I.. Positive Technology equals a primary change in attitude then multiplied by implementation all divided by creative innovation. The historic trend of more and more can no longer be sustained, we can no longer contribute more timber, more coal, more oil to feed a growing technological monster. T(+) means in some regards a simpler kind of innovation. A simplification of sorts to counter the ever-decreasing fuel supply of Earth. ΔA speaks to the core of our class; dramatic and drastic change in attitude (see previous blog post.) A societal implementation following the change in attitude would be the wide-spreading factor. Finally the second part of the equation is divided by creative innovation, the human ingenuity and resilience factor ignored by I=PAT.

Technology alone cannot and will not save us.

This might just make the problem more complicated but I hope it addresses the things fundamentally flawed in I=PAT's vague capital T.

No comments:

Post a Comment