Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Food, I eat it.

Honestly I don't think about environmental concerns when I think about getting food. Yes in the abstract I know that I shouldn't really be eating food shipped from around the world, but in practice I am living off of about a 30 dollar a week food budget. This doesn't allow me much leeway for getting food that has been grown locally or has a low impact. Now if I had maybe even just a little bit more money for food I could let the concerns into my thought process, however when I am living off Cup O' Noodles and other cheap packaged food I can't really afford to be concerned with my impact.
The thing that in my mind has the biggest impact that I have eaten in last few days has to be Cup O' Noodles. This is because of the packaging that it comes in. A styrofoam cup, plastic wrap and a paper covering as well. Nevermind that the actual food probably doesn't have a huge impact on the environment simply the packaging has enough of an impact. The other contender for the worst thing I eat has to be anything I eat at McDonalds. Meat in general is terrible for the environment with something like a cow requiring so much grain, water and land to be raised. In addition there is the green house gases that cows release in the atmosphere (methane).

No comments:

Post a Comment