Wednesday, October 13, 2010

My Home Town

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/city-guides/chicago-green-traveler/

I am from Chicago and I have always thought it was one of the best cities ever, mostly because I grew up there so when I saw this article which is on Chicago becoming a greener city I became very excited. For me its just further proof that Chicago is awesome. And for the most part the article did not disappoint me, its kind of a traveler's guide to a green Chicago. It comments on our abundance of parks all over the city, especially our largest park Grant park which is in the heart of downtown. The article also mentions the large number of green roofs and new LEED platinum buildings that are being built all over the city, the major's efforts to make Chicago greener, the building of zero-net homes. My favorite part of the article though was that that author talked about the contrast between the old Chicago, the US's leading industrial city and transportation hub, that was known for being dirty and was perhaps the ideal industrial city and this newer greener "city in a garden" Chicago. Chicago is still the same as ever, big on transportation and full of pork loving city goers, the spirit of the old industrial Chicago is still alive and well, its just changed to be geared towards a greener way of life.

I will say that that article did focus a little too much on on what one could do in Chicago and all of the fun things you could do there and I was hoping that there would be more on the green aspect of Chicago. But the article is still a cheerful one because it shows us that even in what was once one of the least green places in the United States, can become greener, which gives hope to all of us, that even though going green might be hard, it can still be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment