Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I am Carnivore. Hear me roar!

Until I began college I had never eaten anything organic. And I had never made a point to know where my food was coming from- whether it was close or far away. I guess I didn't know that people actually did that. While I've been made aware of the impact that food has on the environment, I still don't make a point to eat things that are locally grown. I basically eat whatever is most convenient in my dorm room. Similarly, when I'm at home I don't make a point to eat local food, but it happens. Living in a rural area gives my family and myself plenty of space. We have a garden in the summer and eat fresh vegetables. To prepare for winter we can vegetables like green beans and carrots. I know exactly which family friend my chicken, eggs, and beef comes from too. That's what I find interesting about my two lifestyles- in DC, people spend a ton of money and make a point to eat organic and local, but at home it just comes with the territory.

I've come to understand (from recently popular documentaries) that meat has the largest environmental impact. And while I sympathize with Mother Nature, it hasn't really crossed my mind to eat less meat or become a vegetarian. It's not that I don't care about the environment. I do. I try to be a good person. I recycle, I have reusable grocery bags. But food is different. It's not something that I ever thought of as having an impact. And I think that a lot of people would agree. Generally, when you're at the grocery store you just buy. If you asked most people what about their lifestyle they could change to have a positive impact on the environment, I don't think that most would say look at what you're eating and where it's coming from. They would say recycle, use reusable bags, don't litter, etc.

I also drink a lot of pop. I wonder what the environmental impact of a can of Coke is...

No comments:

Post a Comment